This message has been sent by PCSO Nicola Burstow and advises on crimes carried out recently on Northbrook Trading Estate.
There were approximately 6 units either broken into and cash/laptops stolen or costly damage caused by the offenders attempting to break in. There is concern that there are several business parks in the area that could be their next target.
The method of entry has been to cut the BT wires in manholes outside the estate, which disable the alarms to the units. They then use an item, commonly a brick, to smash windows of the units.
The following security steps should be taken where possible
- Ensure CCTV is up and running effectively
- Do not keep large sums of money on site over night
- Do not leave laptops or other valuable items on display in offices.
- Arrange for BT alarms to be diverted to mobile phones in the event of a power cut.
- Inform security of recent breaks and MO in order for them be more vigilant.
- Advise any staff working late at the office to report anything suspicious to the Police immediately.
- Secure any items of value, especially metal piping and copper, if they need to be left outside for any period of time
- Security mark valuables - if found can then be reunited with their owner.